2018-2019 School Year Results
Partnered with three schools, Henderson, Boushall, Lucille Brown and Elkhardt-Thompson Middle Schools, serving 671 students.
- 79% of participants improved or maintained positive attendance
- 96% of participants improved or maintained positive behavior
- 84% of participants improved by 1 letter grade or maintained the same grade of C or above in English
- 80% of participants improved by 1 letter grade or maintained the same grade of C or above in Math
Improve youth access to quality expanded learning opportunities during out-of-school time.
Provided 306 hours of expanded learning time as well as wrap-around health & human services for 671 middle school youth at Henderson, Boushall, Lucille Brown and Elkhardt-Thompson Middle Schools through a coordinated after-school system of 45 local youth organizations.
Increase length of youth participation in quality OST (out-of-school time) learning.
On average, NextUp students participated in 42 days of quality program during the school year. Research says students who participate in after school programs for 30 days or more have better outcomes than non-participants.
Provide high-quality programs and support quality improvement.
In partnership with United Way and VCU’s Mary and Frances Youth Center, NextUp sponsored 15 quality assessment and improvement services for 4 organizations and 3 school sites. A total of 25 instructors participated in trainings offered by VCU’s Mary and Frances Youth Center.. The Average Instructional Quality Score for YPQI sponsored programs was 2.95.
PROGRAM YEAR FEEDBACK
- 77% agreed that NextUp helped them make new friends
- 81% of NextUp youth agreed that NextUp helped them find out what they’re good at doing and what they liked to do
- 93% said there is an adult in NextUp who they can listen to and respect
- 68% agree that coming to NextUp has helped them do better in school
- 98% of families agree that NextUp is a safe place for their child.
- 95% of families believe NextUp has had a positive influence on their child.
- 96% of providers feel adequately supported by their Site Coordinating and NextUp Leadership Team
- 97% of providers would recommend NextUp to other program providers