Richmond, VA – Direct Hire
Director of Development
NextUp RVA (“NextUp”) is a fast-paced, innovative, and growing organization focused on providing all Richmond Public School youth with access to coordinated, high-quality learning experiences beyond the classroom. NextUp believes that when young people participate in high-quality enrichment programs, they benefit in tremendous ways – socially, physically and academically. Currently, NextUp partners with five Richmond middle schools and more than 50 local high-quality community-based out-of-school time programs to enrich the experiences of youth beyond the traditional school day. NextUp provides its partners with centralized registration and outreach, funding, a shared data measurement system, and sponsored professional development. The more coordinated our efforts, the more extensive our reach, the greater the impact we can make in our children’s present and future. NextUp is presently an affiliate of The Community Foundation.
This position is responsible for maintaining accurate donor records, executing gift processing and acknowledgements, and reporting. The Development Coordinator will assist the Development Director with the annual fund campaign and donor engagement events. This position will support the CEO and Development Counsel in staffing the Development Committee and overall fundraising strategies.
- Manage and maintain donor database and data entry, including updates to contact information and adding new records.
- Responsible for all gift entry and accurate gift coding. Run monthly gift reports and facilitate regular reconciliation meeting with finance and development staff.
- Use the donor database to maintain moves management process – tracking all donor and prospect data, interactions, tasks, and assignments.
- Keep all materials and external profiles up to date with current organizational information.
- Contact and schedule visits and speaking opportunities at corporations, clubs, affinity groups, etc. for NextUp leaders.
Annual Fund Coordination
- Coordinate an annual fund campaign to build number of grassroots donors, including gathering contact information of new prospects, executing targeted mailings and emails, and organizing donor stewardship opportunities such as thank you notes and calls from executive staff and volunteers.
- Produce annual appeals, donor acknowledgement, and reports.
- Serve as primary relationship manager of NextUp donors contributing up to $500.
- Support the CEO and development leadership in managing a portfolio of 40-50 current and prospective donors through the donor pyramid.
- Assist Development Director with preparation of meeting materials, taking notes, and following up with committee members on assigned action items.
- Assist Development Director with all aspects of related external events (such as leadership reception, cultivation events, etc), including scheduling, logistics management, communications, collateral, volunteer management, sponsorships, and staff training.
- Assist Development Director with site visits and events that wow guests and showcase NextUp’s mission and work. This includes executing all logistics: Invitations, agendas, confirming attendance, providing directions, scheduling program staff and students, etc.
- Help coordinate appropriate follow-up communications after events, including drafting communications when appropriate.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree and an ongoing demonstrated dedication to professional development, CFRE preferred
- Minimum two years successful experience in fundraising, preferably with experience in annual fund programs or Communications/Public Relations. Fundraising experience in Education/Youth development background a plus. Adheres to the highest ethical standards in fundraising.
- Experience in planning and managing development projects, including coordinating with peers to achieve desired outcomes, attention to detail, and tracking and reporting on progress to CEO and board of directors and in the development database
- Takes initiative, ability to manage multiple activities and deadlines while maintaining a focus on quality, and actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships and to forge new ones
- Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising, strong writing skills, with the ability to produce and edit work appropriate for external audiences with little oversight
- Believes in the value of each and every child and the importance of community collaboration to help youth thrive
- Gets others to accept ideas by using convincing arguments, creates a win-win situation and responds appropriately to key stakeholders
- Effective at working with others to reach common goals and objectives
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, investors, board of directors and others
- Delights in an authentic, energetic, growing and fast-paced nonprofit organization, Proven ability to take initiative, exercise sound judgment, follow-through on commitments, and work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and development software
Interested in applying? This position is eligible for a competitive salary and benefits package. For consideration, email resume and cover letter with salary requirements.